Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm Begging You...Knock It Off

I'm training this lady at my office to take over some of the duties that I have regularly handled since our original accountant-type lady was laid off about 4 years ago.

Now, she seems nice enough and is pleasant all the time. So what's the problem? She's one of those people that's overly chipper and bright all the gdamn time. It never stops. I don't know about you guys, but I inherently distrust/dislike such people. It's like the perky lead cheerleader in high school who you find out is really batshit nuts. Or the coworker who ends up bringing an AK to work one day looking for payback.

Even worse, she's the type of person who can't let there be a moment of silence. Ever! She looks to fill every pause with some detail of her life...like how she slept last night, what she ate for dinner, how her day is going so far, ad nauseum.

Listen, I appreciate that she's trying to be friendly and fit in with new coworkers and all that. But JC, stop trying so hard. It's counterproductive. Besides, if I actually wanted to engage her in such banter, I couldn't get a word in edgewise if I wanted.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to jump in front of a bus, or punch her in the trachea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop the press! That's 2 posts in one week! But seriously good luck - with Ms. Cheerful. You could try placing both fists in your ears and screaming NANANANANANANANANANAN so you don't have to listen to her. My kids tell me it works really well.

Anonymous said...

those people always strike me as being extremely fake and/or self conscious. i say a little nudge to the trachea would do the trick.

and welcome back, cotter!